Big Cat Week
Waqar Naseem Wamiq, Riyadh – Big Cat Week is back on National Geographic WILD, with a two-week special event showcasing some of its biggest and rarest cats to date. Premiering across the Middle East on February 14 at 7:30 PM (KSA), the event features 12 in-depth programs, each exploring an entirely different big cat species, their struggles as they face extinction, as well as rare, never-before-seen footage in their natural habitats.
With each passing year, big cats are faced with greater challenges and risk of extinction. The National Geographic Society is committed to raising awareness of big cats’ adverse situations through programming events such as BIG CAT WEEK, partnering with leading experts, funding research initiatives, and supporting impactful conservation efforts across the planet.
Kicking things off, INDIA’S BIG CATS showcases the alluring feline species which dominate India’s varied landscapes. THAILAND’S WILDCATS explores the hidden cats of the jungle, including the king of the jungle: the Tiger. Next, see how a female cheetah protects her cubs against predators, including male cheetahs, with THE WAY OF THE CHEETAH.
The feline fun continues with SHADOW CATS, a thrilling look at the amazingly dexterous flying cats, capable of smacking birds from the sky. RUSSIA’S WILD TIGER was filmed over two years with 80 different cameras to capture the essence of the Amur tiger.
Big Cat Week
Additionally, BIG CAT WEEK includes a special series from award-winning filmmakers, National Geographic Explorers, wildlife conservationists Dereck and Beverly Joubert, who have been filming, researching, and exploring in Africa for over 35 years. The series also features narration from Academy Award®️, Tony®️, Emmy®️, SAG®️ Award-winning actor Jeremy Irons.
Big Cat Week airs from February 14 to 19 at 7:30 PM (KSA) on National Geographic WILD. Episode titles and descriptions can be found below.
India’s Big Cats
- Premieres on 14th February, Monday at 7:30 PM KSA.
- Alluring Tigers, Leopards, Lions, and even the Black Panther dominate India’s varied landscapes. Here, life hangs in the balance, ruled by tooth and claw and the extremes of climate. These big cat super predators are marvels of evolution with lightning-fast reflexes, detonating muscle power and extraordinary senses.
Thailand’s Wild Cats
- Premieres on 15th February, Tuesday at 7:30 PM KSA.
- Discover the hidden cats of Thailand’s jungles lying within an ancient kingdom, a last refuge for the nation’s wild cats. Apex hunters, nearly invisible, they bide their time as they search for prey, pursue mates and protect their young. Within this tangled forest, a world of drama and unbridled power awaits the clouded leopard, the Asian fishing cat and the king of the jungle, the Tiger.
War of the Lions
- Premieres on 16th February, Wednesday at 7:30 PM KSA.
- From savannahs bursting with game to deserts with not a drop to drink, all lion kingdoms are not created equal … so who is the REAL king of the beasts?
The Way of the Cheetah
- Premieres on 17th February, Thursday at 7:30 PM KSA.
- Navigate the plains of the Mara ecosystem with Immani, a sleek female cheetah, as she protects her four cubs against other male cheetahs and predators. This marks the first film from Dereck and Beverly Joubert dedicated to cheetahs.
- Premieres on 18th February, Friday at 7:30 PM KSA
- A flying cat, ten feet off the ground! …the deadliest feline hunter on the planet… birds smacked from the sky mid-flight! We join Lincoln the serval, Zama the caracal and Nyane, the elusive black-footed cat who prove they are just as extraordinary as their iconic wildcat counterparts, the cheetah, lion and leopard.
Russia’s Wild Tiger
- Premieres 19th February, Saturday at 7:30 PM KSA.
- Witness the battle for the survival of the big cats and reveal intimate details of their lives. The animals they prey on are also in the film: tigers couldn’t survive without sika deer, Altai wapiti, wild boars, and Asian black bears.
Revealed: Living with Big Cats
- Premieres 21st February, Monday at 7:30 PM KSA.
- Dereck and Beverly Joubert lead viewers on their incredible journey with big cats—from the first time big cats captured their hearts through their boundless dedication to protecting these iconic predators. This story explores how the Jouberts got started and delves into their personal lives as National Geographic filmmakers and Explorers.
Revealed: Big Cat Odyssey
- Premieres 22nd February, Tuesday at 7:30 PM KSA.
- Dereck and Beverly Joubert, dive deeper into the issues that surround big cats, specifically African lions and leopards. What challenges do these iconic big cats face? How have these lions and leopards survived and adapted over the decades? The Jouberts lead viewers on an epic journey through the lives of big cats and their most iconic moments.
Revealed: Relentless Enemies
- Premieres 23rd February, Wednesday at 7:30 PM KSA.
- A buffalo herd of over 1,200 is forced to move through three lion territories while being confined by the flood waters on a small island in the Okavango. As the buffalo strategize their advancements, the lions react to each and every move they make. From the Joubert’s home base in Botswana, comes the epic story of buffalo and lions surviving and adapting to each other. Narrated by Jeremy Irons.
Revealed: Ultimate Enemies
- Premieres 24th February, Thursday at 7:30 PM KSA
- National Geographic filmmakers, Dereck and Beverly Joubert, explore how some animals are thrust together by the forces of nature—sometimes through a millennium of evolution or even last year’s drought. In the aftermath of strange elephant deaths, they piece together a visually stunning story that confirms their theory that lions were hunting elephants. Narrated by Jeremy Irons.
Revealed: Eye of the Leopard
- Premieres 25th February, Friday at 7:30 PM KSA.
- National Geographic filmmakers Dereck and Beverly Joubert set out to create a film on leopards but never imagined they would be seduced by a small, eight-day-old cub named Legadema. Eye of the Leopard follows Legadema’s journey from a playful cub to a skilled huntress. Narrated by Jeremy Irons.
Revealed: Eternal Enemies
- Premieres 26th February, Saturday at 7:30 PM KSA.
- The Joubert’s Emmy winning film is back with stunning remastered footage. Propelled by Jeremy Irons gripping narration, Eternal Enemies reveals the story of conflict between lions and hyenas, relatively unknown or even suspected in the scientific world before this. The intense relationship and enduring rivalry between the two species play out in a battle of survival.
More from Riyadh Xpress
The Cloud Corniche | Abha | Saudi Arabia
Lakes Park | Watch complete directions & details of Lakes Park in Riyadh.
Looking for a refreshing adventure in summers in Riyadh? Watch out the latest video of Ain Heet Cave near Riyadh for hiking.
Stay Safe by following precautionary measures given by the government
- Firstly, free movement with taking care of precautionary measures given by the government. Cautiously we returned to normal life.
- Secondly, staying at home can be very boring if you don’t have anything to do. We have made a list of things to do here.
- Thirdly, booster dose of coronavirus vaccines is compulsory in the KIngdom from 1st February 2022.
- Lastly, Buy protected mask: Click Here
Finally, follow Riyadh Xpress’s:
In addition, check out the latest articles by Riyadh Xpress
- Firstly, King Salman urged the world to respond to the human crises causes by Covid-19: Click Here.
- Secondly, Social Distancing Measures implemented in supermarkets: Click Here.
- Thirdly, the latest penalties on Iqama: Click Here.
- Fourthly, Disabled parking violation/fine in Saudi Arabia: Click Here.
- Lastly, hackers attack again to get your personal data: Click Here.
Check out the most viewed articles
- Firstly, one riyal shop in Riyadh: Click Here.
- Secondly, 5 Riyals Mall in Riyadh: Click Here.
- Thirdly, Riyal al Barakah: Click Here.
- Lastly, 20 new changes in Saudi Arabia in 2020: Click Here.